Let Your Light Shine On

Let Your Light Shine On
ENGAGE, ENLIGHTEN, EMPOWER

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

"That Gangsta Lean"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVSiv8-ugu0




I remember when I first saw the video "Gansta Lean" by DRS. I liked it because it was fresh at the time. It was a mellow salute. So many were dying from gang violence at the time the song came out. "Pour out a little liquor," became Tupac's lament to soldiers in a undeclared war. Ironically, and sadly he was murdered in cold blood as well.

Over my 20 years working with youth I have seen many die from violence.

A moment of silence:







 Unfortunately I have also seen some commit murder, and be sentenced to life in a cell. There is nothing heroic in dying this way. There is nothing "gangsta" about death at a young age. We must teach our children peace, tolerance for others and love of self.

This is a dedication to those that left us. Flowers, picked before they even had a chance to bloom.

My hope is that we think about our anger, about our choices, about our self hatred, ......about our potential

Each of us has a HERO/HERU within..

PEACE

1 comment:

ALC said...

I don't know if your "flower analogy" is original, but I love it. It really communicates the lost innocence of so many of today's youths.